Cultural Intelligence in Education
In today’s multicultural world, educators look for ways to connect with their students and colleagues as effectively as possible. The online Cultural Intelligence in Education course helps educators enhance their cultural intelligence related to education delivery, both in the classroom and in multiple capacities around campus for K-12.
Students learn to engage with people from diverse backgrounds in culturally sensitive ways, exploring the role cultural intelligence plays in their lives and the lives of their students and colleagues.
Through role play, interactive scenarios, videos, and cultural intelligence workshops, the course examines how culturally based beliefs and practices influence teaching, learning and performance. Students develop a personal plan to increase their cultural intelligence to increase their effectiveness in diverse educational and social settings.
What is Cultural Intelligence?
Cultural intelligence, or CQ, is the method of relating and interacting with people across diverse experiences and cultural backgrounds. CQ requires contextualizing the feelings, beliefs, interests, and cultures of diverse populations. The process creates self-awareness, understanding, and empathy for others.
What You Will Learn in this Online Professional Development Course
Students in the Cultural Intelligence in Education course will gain competency in:
- Clarifying personal culturally and/or ethically based values, beliefs, practices, and worldviews
- Articulating the complexities associated with diverse student populations
- Developing strategies for addressing the educational needs of culturally and ethnically diverse populations
- Using CQ for applying professional values for education in the classroom and in other educational settings
- Creating a personal growth plan with experiential strategies to increase cultural competence personally and in the educational profession
The course is organized in six educational modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Cultural Intelligence. CQ Drive & Implicit Bias
- Module 2: CQ Knowledge & Cultural Consciousness
- Module 3: CQ Strategy & Privilege
- Module 4: CQ Action & Cultural Proficiency
- Module 5: Cultural Intelligence Application in Education–Part 1
- Module 6: Cultural Intelligence Application in Education–Part 2
In addition, a welcome and wrap-up module are included at the beginning and end of the course.
Who Should Enroll in this Online Cultural Intelligence in Education Course?
- Current teachers looking for continuing education credits with an interest in global diversity related to education delivery, both in the classroom and in multiple capacities around campus for K-12
- Educators who want a self-paced option; students may enroll at any time and take up to one year from their registration date to complete the course. Students may complete assignments in no less than three weeks for a 3-unit course (one week per unit)
NOTE: Required books must be acquired separately.
This course is applicable towards the Social Emotional Learning Certificate.
What Educators Who Took Cultural Intelligence in Education Course Are Saying
“I thought this was an excellent course! I thought it was well-planned and helpful to me as an educator! Thank you.”
- Educator, California
“It was a great experience. I learned a lot. The instructor was very accessible and always encouraging and willing to help.”
- Educator, California