Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for a course?

There are two ways to register for a course.

  1. Online -
  2. Telephone - 559-453-2015 or 800-372-5505

Is Fresno Pacific University an accredited University?

Yes. Fresno Pacific University is accredited by the Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and is authorized to offer coursework through the Office of Continuing Education.

When can I enroll in an independent study course?

You can enroll at any time. Open enrollment is available for all independent study courses. Students register online at or by dialing 800-372-5505 using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.

If I register today, how long will it take to receive my course information?

Register for continuing education courses through the FPU/CE Website at any time. Registration processing occurs during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Pacific time). Registrations that occur outside of regular business hours will be processed the next business day. Access to course information will NOT be available until registrations have been processed during business hours. Instructors are notified daily of new registrations. Course access information for online courses is emailed the day that the registration is processed (check spam folders). Course materials, if applicable, are sent to students directly from individual instructors. Please allow 5 business days to receive course materials.

How do I know if there is an independent study course that is right for me?

Fresno Pacific University Continuing Education offers over 400 courses in 17 different subject areas. Visit our home page to begin the search for the course that best fits your needs.

Earn $20 for Each Friend You Refer to FPU | Continuing Education

If you’ve enjoyed your Fresno Pacific University | Continuing Education (FPU/CE) professional development course... tell a friend or colleague who’s never taken one of our courses! If your friend registers for a course, you will receive a $20 Amazon gift card as a Thank You from us and your friend will receive a promotional discount of $20 off each course! The more referred friends who register for courses, the more gift cards you'll receive. For more information and an explanation of how the program works, click here.

What is the difference between a correspondence and an online course?

All courses are independent study, meaning they are completed at your own pace and on your own time. With a correspondence course, you will receive course materials by e-mail or postal mail from your instructor, and return the coursework to your instructor upon completion. With an online course, all assignments are provided and completed online via FPU's learning management system (i.e., Moodle).

How do I open the encrypted file that contains my Moodle Username and Password?

When opening an encrypted file, please use the following steps:

  1. Navigate to your personal email where the encrypted file was sent. (Select "Looks Safe" if needed)
  2. Download the "message.html" attachment that is included
  3. Once downloaded, open the file and select "Use a one-time passcode"
  4. Enter the passcode that was sent in a separate email to access your encrypted file containing your FPU email (username) and password

Will I receive a 1098-T for my independent study classes?

While Continuing Education at FPU does not send a 1098-T, we do provide a Statement of Account containing pertinent tax information which can be viewed and printed online. Just log into My Account. After you log into the site, select "My Account" from the top and "Statement of Account" from the left navigation menu.

How long does it take to complete a course?

As little as 3 weeks…or up to 1 year (for a 3-unit course). A minimum of one week per unit of study has been set, by design, as a standard for all independent study courses. However, students may take up to one year to complete a course.

Is there a limit as to the number of units I may take?

A total of nine units may be taken at the same time. Students may complete a maximum of 18 units in a semester. Semester dates are January-April; May-August; and September-December.

What if I can't finish my course on-time? Are extensions available?

Yes, students may request an extension for up to six months from the original due date. An extension request must be submitted prior to the original due date, accompanied by a $40 handling fee. If students do not complete course requirements within the six-month extension period, a grade of No Credit will automatically be issued. You can request an extension following the online process below:

  1. Log into the Fresno Pacific University Continuing Education website:
  2. Sign into your account | Select My Account at the top of the page
  3. Select Request Extension from the left navigation tree
  4. Complete the form and payment information

Can I receive a letter grade for my coursework?

Yes, Independent Study Courses are graded as either “A”, “B” or "No Credit". A grade of “No Credit” will be issued if coursework is not received by the due date or does not meet the course requirements.

Are these courses graduate level?

Yes, Fresno Pacific University Continuing Education offers independent study courses that are primarily designed for students who have baccalaureate degrees and appropriate teaching credentials. All of our 900-level courses are graduate-level, but are not intended toward degree requirements, and are not to be used for undergraduate credit or athletic eligibility.

How long does it take instructors to grade my coursework?

Allow up to one week from the date materials are posted to Moodle. Grades are posted by Fresno Pacific University within two business days upon receipt of the Grade submission from the instructor.

How soon can I receive an official transcript after completing my coursework?

Students do not have to wait until the end of the semester to receive an official transcript! Transcripts may be requested as soon as the grade is posted by Continuing Education.

How do I order an official transcript?

Before you order a transcript:

1. Finish the course. Be sure to submit your grade request online to the instructor.

2. Wait for the email from Fresno Pacific University congratulating you on your course completion. Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Final Grade Report link on the left navigation tree. Step-by-Step Tutorial

3. To order an official transcript (after you have verified that your grade is posted on the Final Grade Report): Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Order Transcript link on the left navigation tree and follow the instructions. Be sure to enter your seven-digit Student ID number beginning with a zero when requesting your transcript. Step-by-Step Tutorial. If you have questions, contact the Registrar's Office at (559) 453-2037.

Do these courses qualify for financial aid or student loan deferment?

No, these courses do not qualify for financial aid or student loan deferment. However, some school districts have funds available to assist their teachers in professional growth. Contact your school district to find out if those funds are available to you.

Can I complete my coursework when I'm not in the classroom and away from students?

All courses may be completed with or without student participation unless otherwise noted in the course description/syllabus.

Do you offer any courses for 1 or 2 units?

Yes! We offer some courses for 1 or 2 units only, and some courses with a 1, 2 or 3 unit options. You can search for these courses using the Credit Count filter on the Independent Studies page:

If I need to drop a course, what should I do?

The process is simple! Login to your account, click on Course Drop link on the left navigation menu. Select the course from the drop-down list and enter a reason for dropping the course. The drop/refund policy is noted on the form.

What are the student learning outcomes (SLO) for Fresno Pacific University courses?

There are ten student learning outcomes that are part of most courses from Fresno Pacific University. This document includes the ten SLOs and a brief description. FPU Student Learning Outcomes

Is FPU a Recognized Provider in the State of Pennsylvania?

According to the Division of Professional Education and Planning of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Education, Fresno Pacific University is listed in the Directory of Higher Education and recognized to offer courses to educators in the state of Pennsylvania via distance learning. To view details of the process, please click

Is FPU an Approved Provider in Massachusetts?

Fresno Pacific University is an approved PD provider in Massachusetts, providing teachers with professional development courses that count toward earning PDPs. To verify FPU's provider status, search the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) PD Provider Registry.

Where can I find a letter verifying that the Continuing Education courses are graduate-level?

Where can I find a letter explaining that Fresno Pacific University is an accredited university?