Mathematics Teaching Certificate
The Mathematics Teaching Certificate is designed by educators for educators to motivate teachers, enhance instruction, and stimulate student learning. These courses are specifically designed to expand your knowledge and skills to support opportunities for your professional advancement. Course options include using hands-on materials, virtual manipulatives, and other powerful tools to engage students while solving real-world problems and assessing student learning.
Successful completion of this certificate is documented on the participant’s transcript and includes a hard-copy Certificate mailed to the participant.
“I loved the course! It is another course from Fresno that gives you hands-on material that you can use right away in your classes.”
“It gave me great ideas for how to incorporate historical context into math and opens my eyes to how important it is to just focus on the "how" to do math algorithms, but taking time to explain how these concepts came to be!”
BENEFITS OF EARNING AN ONLINE MATHEMATICS TEACHING CERTIFICATE
- Learn 100% online at your own pace and advance your skills while teaching full-time.
- Start any of the individual courses anytime and take up to an entire year to complete each course online. There is no time limit on when you need to complete all the elective courses to earn your certificate.
- Whether you are a current or previous student, course instructors are available to give you individualized support.
- FPU’s certificate courses take a deeper dive into math-specific topics and emphasize time for teacher practice, engagement, and reflection.
- Course instructors at FPU are veteran teachers with classroom experience and advanced degrees who are instrumental in the development of engaging courses.
- Professional development courses can help you earn certifications and salary increases. Depending on the school district, some even offer thousands of dollars per year for taking courses.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- MAT-900A: Math Activities: Primary Grades
- MAT-901A: Math Activities: Intermediate Grades
- MAT-907: Organize Learning Environments for Math
- MAT-912: Great Mathematicians Before 1700
- MAT-913: Great Mathematicians After 1700
- MAT-914: Patterns and Problem Solving
- MAT-915: Recreational Math for the Classroom
- MAT-921: Teaching First Year Algebra
- MAT-922: Patterns and Relationships (K-2)
- MAT-923: Assessing Students’ Math Learning (4-12)
- MAT-924: Virtual Manipulatives
- MAT-925: Patterns and Relationships (3-5)
- MAT-926: Developing Algebraic Thinking (6-8)
- MAT-927: Teach Math to English Language Learners
- MAT-928: Technology-Enhanced Math Learning
- MAT-929: Fostering Math Discussions
- MAT-930: Common Core Math Practices
- MAT-931: Mathematics for Social Justice
- MAT-932: Rich Math Tasks in the Classroom
- MAT-933: Improving Fluency with Number Talk
- MAT-934: Culturally Responsive Mathematics Teaching
- MAT-935: Art-Enhanced Mathematics
- MAT-936: Teaching Math Online
- MAT-937: Routines for Mathematical Reasoning
How do I obtain the certificate?
- Complete at least 15 units of elective courses listed above.
- Click to download the application form.
- Return completed application form to CE office, as stated on the form.
- Upon receipt of the completed application form, and verification of successful completion of the 15 units, the certificate is awarded and posted to the participant's transcript.