Computer Science Authorization and Licensure
Supplementary Authorization (in CA) or Computer Science Licensure (in OH and other states)
What is Computer Science Education?
Computer science is one of the most in-demand college degrees. New STEM jobs continue to grow in the field of computing so students who are exposed to computer science education will be prepared to enter college and the workforce ready for modern, challenging, sought-after careers.
Computer science education integrates the principles of computer science into K-12 instruction. For those in California, Fresno Pacific University offers four classes that will help you earn an Introductory Authorization to teach in grades 9 and below or add one more class to earn a Specific Authorization to teach computer science through grade 12 and adults. Teachers in other states can take courses to meet the needs of their boards of education. FPU offers computer science courses online so busy teachers can complete coursework when it’s convenient for them.
Who Will Benefit from the Computer Science Authorization and Licensure Courses?
Teachers in ALL STATES who would like to learn to integrate crucial computer science skills into their curriculum will benefit from these courses. If you are ready to learn important skills from qualified instructors with experience in the field, this fully online program may be right for you.
- Fully online coursework
- All courses are self-paced, so you can complete each course in as little as four weeks (but you have up to one year)
- You complete one or two courses at a time
- Grasp new concepts from other educators taking the courses
- Tuition - $600 per course
- Learn from highly qualified instructors with experience in computer science, both K-12 and higher education
Why Take Professional Development Courses to Teach Computer Science?
Computer science teachers with official training are in demand. Positions across the country are going unfilled as school systems implement programs that will prepare students with foundational computer science skills. When you complete your computer science coursework online you will:
- Gain new technical skills to inspire and motivate young people to learn about computers
- Develop your own computing skills
- Learn how computers and computer systems work
- Become a go-to technology support person at your school
After the successful completion of all coursework, California students can submit their transcript to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing to earn the supplementary introductory credential. This credential authorizes a multiple or single subject teacher to teach K-9 computer science courses. Students from other states please reference your state's Computer Science Licensure requirements.
Specific Supplementary Authorization or Computer Science Licensure
5 courses (15 units) - $3000 Total Cost
- CSED-750/CSED-900: Information Technology Basics
- CSED-712/CSED-901: Computational Thinking
- CSED-720/CSED-902: Computing Practices and Programming
- CSED-790/CSED-903: Impacts and Ethics of Computing
- CSED-740/CSED-904: Data Structures, Algorithms, and Software Engineering
After the successful completion of all coursework, California students can submit their transcript to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing to earn the supplementary introductory credential. This credential authorizes a multiple or single subject teacher to teach K-12 and adult-level computer science courses. Students from other states please reference your state's Computer Science Licensure requirements.
Questions? Contact Peggi Kriegbaum at firstname.lastname@example.org