Continuing Education Policies and Procedures
University credit is earned on a semester-unit basis. Numbers 900-1999 designate courses that meet objectives that cannot be served by established baccalaureate and/or graduate offerings. Coursework offered for college credit adheres to 45 hours per semester unit for 900-series independent study courses.
Policy Statement: 900 Level Independent Study Courses
Fresno Pacific University Continuing Education offers independent study courses that are intended for educators and other professionals who have obtained at least a Bachelor's degrees and appropriate teaching credentials. They are graduate courses designed for professional development and not as part of a degree program. They are not to be used for undergraduate credit or athletic eligibility. Students should seek approval from appropriate district or college officials before enrolling in these courses to satisfy any degree, state credential, or local school district requirements.
The FPU transcript legend reads as follows for independent study courses:
Course Number: 900-999
Course Category: Graduate courses designed for professional development and not as part of a degree program.
Tuition and Materials Fees
- Tuition rate is $140 per semester unit plus applicable materials, online and administrative fees.
- All prices of taxable items include sales tax reimbursement computed to the nearest mil.
- Tuition and materials fees are subject to change without notice.
- Continuing Education courses do not qualify for financial aid or loan deferment.
- An additional postage fee may be charged, at the instructor’s discretion, to students receiving materials in Hawaii, Alaska, US territories, or foreign countries.
Enrollment and Course Completion
Enrollment is possible at any time throughout the year. Due to the rigor of these graduate-level courses, the following registration and completion standards have been established.
- The minimum course completion time is one (1) week for one-unit courses, two (2) weeks for two-unit courses, and three (3) weeks for three-unit courses.
- Students have up to one year from the registration date to complete a course.
- Students may be registered for a maximum of nine (9) units concurrently.
- A maximum of six (6) units may be completed in three (3) weeks.
- A maximum of 18 units may be completed in a semester.
Semester Dates as Defined by FPU Continuing Education
- Spring Semester January 1 through April 30
- Summer Semester May 1 through August 31
- Fall Semester September 1 through December 31
Students may register online with a credit card, by returning a completed registration form and appropriate fees to the Continuing Education office, or by dialing 559-453-2015 or 800-372-5505, using Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. You may also register online by clicking on Online Registration.
Instructors are notified daily of new registrants. Course information/materials are then mailed or emailed directly from the instructor, not the Continuing Education office.
Independent Study Courses are graded as either “A”, “B”, or “No Credit.” A grade of “No Credit” will be issued if coursework is not received by the due date or does not meet the course requirements.
Note: Only letter grades will be issued upon successful completion of 900-level coursework, effective January 1, 2020.
Credit and Final Grade Report
Students must submit satisfactorily completed coursework to the instructor in order to receive credit. It is then the student's responsibility to request their final grade from the instructor. Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Request Final Grade link on the left navigation tree. Grades are posted within two business days of notification from the instructor. A Final Grade Report (pdf) is available to print by signing in to the Continuing Education website and clicking on the My Account at the top, then Final Grade Report link on the left navigation tree.
The grade report will reflect credit earned in the semester which the course was registered; the transcript will reflect the actual course beginning and ending dates. The ending date is based on the last assignment posted date in Moodle system or the postmark on coursework mailed or emailed to the instructor.
Before you order transcripts:
1. Finish the course. Be sure to submit your grade request online to the instructor.
2. Wait for the email from Fresno Pacific University congratulating you on your course completion. Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Final Grade Report link on the left navigation tree.
3. To order an official transcript (after you have verified that your grade is posted on the Final Grade Report): Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Order Transcripts link on the left navigation tree and follow the instructions. Be sure to enter your seven-digit Student ID number beginning with a zero when requesting your transcript. If you have questions, contact the Registrar's Office at (559) 453-2037.
Students may request an extension for up to six months. An official extension request must be submitted PRIOR TO THE ORIGINAL COURSE DUE DATE, accompanied by a $40 handling fee. Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Request Extension link on the left navigation tree. If students do not complete course requirements within the six-month extension period, a grade of “No Credit” will automatically be issued.
A full refund for tuition and instructional materials, less a $40 handling fee, will be granted if a course is dropped within four weeks after registration and all materials are returned to the instructor in their original condition. After four weeks, a 50% refund, less a $40 handling fee, will be granted through nine weeks. After nine weeks there is no tuition refund. Students must officially withdraw from a course, or a "No Credit" grade will be issued by the instructor one year after the date of registration. Sign in to the Continuing Education website and click on the My Account at the top, then Drop Course link on the left navigation tree.
Students may re-enroll in Independent Study Courses if they have previously received a grade of “No Credit.” Current tuition/fees will apply.
Reducing Number of Units
Students are not permitted to reduce the number of units in an independent study or online course for which they are enrolled.
A telephone and/or additional postage fee may be charged, at the instructor's discretion, to students currently residing in Hawaii, Alaska, US territories, or foreign countries.
Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
All people participating in the educational process at Fresno Pacific University are expected to pursue honesty and integrity in all aspects of their academic work. Academic dishonesty, including plagiarism, will be handled according to the procedures set forth in Academic Integrity Policy and in the FPU catalog.
Grade appeals must be made within one year from the date the grade report was issued. Appeals must first be presented to the instructor. If necessary, a second appeal may be made to the Director of Independent Studies, and finally to the Continuing Education Executive Director.
Health/Physical Education (HED/PED) and Computer Technology (TEC) courses do not fulfill the computer or health component requirements for the California Clear Credential.