California History Certificate
Earn a California History Certificate & 15 Graduate Level Credits – 100% Online
Expand your knowledge of California’s rich and diverse history by earning a California History Certificate. This certificate dives into what makes California geographically and historically unique and is designed to not only teach you about California’s history but enhance your social studies curriculum with primary source stories and high-quality technological applications.
What is the California History Certificate?
By taking this history certificate program online, educators can earn needed professional development credits while expanding their teaching skills as they relate to teaching California’s history. Teachers choose from a list of courses related to history. Completing 15 credits earns educators the California History Certificate.
“I loved this certificate program! I highly recommend taking it to anyone who loves history. It is very informative and interesting.”
“This is a wonderful program! It does a great job of teaching the foundations of California. The topics covered and the online platforms used are great to add to your teaching of California history and beyond. The instructors are very helpful and respond quickly. I learned a lot!”
What do you learn in the California History Certificate Program?
Courses in the California History Certificate dive into the diverse history from the California Missions to the California Gold Rush but also include topics that focus on the people, cities and events that made California The Golden State. Courses include Historic Sacramento, Los Angeles and Monterey which contributed to California's rich heritage.
BENEFITS OF EARNING AN ONLINE CALIFORNIA HISTORY CERTIFICATE
Learn 100% online at your own pace and advance your skills while teaching full-time.
Start any of the individual courses anytime and take up to an entire year to complete each course online. There is no time limit on when you need to complete all the courses to earn your certificate.
Whether you are a current or previous student, course instructors are available to give you individualized support.
FPU’s certificate courses take a deeper dive into historic events/people and emphasize time for teacher practice, engagement, and reflection.
Course instructors at FPU are veteran teachers with classroom experience and advanced degrees who are instrumental in the development of engaging courses.
Professional development courses can help you earn certifications and salary increases. Depending on the school district, some even offer thousands of dollars per year for taking courses.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- SOC-900: History of the Mother Lode
- SOC-901: California Gold Rush: 49ers/Miners
- SOC-902: Monterey: Historic Capital of California
- SOC-903: Los Angeles: Reflections on its Heritage
- SOC-905: Historic Sacramento: Through the Years
- SOC-906: California Missions: 1769-Secularization
- SOC-907: Historic Bodie & Other Ghost Towns
- SOC-910: Historic Virginia City: Silver Region of the Comstock Lode
- SOC-914: Historic Carson City: Silver Capital of the West
- SOC-916: Historic Mono Lake: History & Mystery
- SOC-917: California: Reflecting America
- SOC-935: On the Road with Mark Twain: In California and Nevada
How do I obtain the certificate?
- Complete at least 15 units of elective courses listed above.
- Click to download the application form.
- Return completed application form to CE office, as stated on the form.
- Upon receipt of the completed application form, and verification of successful completion of the 15 units, the certificate is awarded and posted to the participant's transcript.