Header image
0 Items in cart | View Cart | Go To Checkout

Frequently Asked Questions

How to register for a course?
There are three ways to register for a course. (1) Online 24/7: ce.fresno.edu/cpd (2) Phone: 1-800-372-5505, M-F, 8 AM - 5 PM PST (3) Mail: Find registration form at ce.fresno.edu/cpd/forms.

Will I receive a 1098T for my CPD classes?
While Continuing Education at FPU does not send a 1098T, we do provide a statement of account containing pertinent tax information which can be viewed and printed online. Just go to ce.fresno.edu/cpd and login (or create an account so you can login, begin with "start here"). From there select "Statement of Account" to your left, and be sure to choose the appropriate year from the drop-down menu.

Is Fresno Pacific University an accredited University?
Yes. Fresno Pacific University is accredited by the Commission for Senior Colleges and universities of the western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is authorized to offer course work through the Center for Professional Development.

What is the process for the "Refer-A-Friend" promotion?
Spread the news...if friends register for a 900-level course you will receive a $10 gift card for classroom supplies. Your friend can save too! (1) Tell a friend to register for a 900-level independent study course. (2) Your friend must be brand new to FPU, or have not taken a course within the past three years. (3) Tell your friend to create an account at ce.fresno.edu/cpd. (4) When asked how they heard about FPU, your friend must select "friend" or "colleague". (5) When asked for the e-mail address of "friend" or "colleague" they must provide the email address you use for your FPU login ID. (6) FPU will be notified of your referral when your friend's registration is complete and will send you a $10 gift card for classroom supplies after your friend remains registered for six weeks. We don't want to leave your friend out! Please give your friend this coupon code (Friend2017) and they can receive a $10 discount off each course registered.

When can I enroll in an independent study course?
Open enrollment is available for all Center for Professional Development independent study courses. Students register online at ce.fresno.edu/cpd, or by returning a completed registration form and appropriate fees to the Center for Professional Development office, or by dialing 1-800-372-5505 using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.

How do I know if there is an independent study course that is right for me?
The Center for Professional Development offers over 350 courses in 17 different subject areas. Visit our home page to begin the search for the course that best fits your needs.

What is the difference between a correspondence study course and an Online course?
All courses are independent study, meaning they are completed at your own pace and on your own time. With a correspondence study course you will receive materials by mail or e-mail from your instructor, and return the coursework back to your instructor upon completion. With an Online course, all assignments are provided and completed Online via a website or a course management system (i.e. Moodle).

If I register today, how long will it take to receive my materials?
The materials should arrive within 10 business days. Registering for a course must be done through the Center for Professional Development office. Instructors are notified daily of new registrations. Course materials are sent to students directly from individual instructors. Please allow 5-10 business days to receive course materials.

How long does it take to complete a course?
As little as 3 weeks…or up to 1 year. A minimum of one week per unit of study has been set, by design, as a standard for all Center for Professional Development Independent Study courses. However, students may take up to one year to complete a course.

Is there a limit as to the number of units I may take?
A total of nine units may be taken at the same time. Students may complete a maximum of 18 units in a semester. Semester dates are January-April; May-August; and September-December.

Can I receive a letter grade for my coursework?
Yes. Courses are graded as either "A", "B" or "Credit", "No Credit" ("Credit" is equivalent to a letter grade of "B"). If a student wishes to receive a letter grade instead of a credit/no credit grade, the request for a letter grade box must be checked on the grade form that is submitted to the instructor with the completed course assignment.

Are these courses graduate level?
Yes. The Fresno Pacific Center for Professional Development offers independent study courses that are primarily designed for students who have baccalaureate degrees and appropriate teaching credentials. All of our 900-level courses are graduate-level, but are not intended toward degree requirements, and are not to be used for undergraduate credit or athletic eligibility.

How long does it take instructors to grade my coursework?
Allow up to two weeks from the date materials are sent to the instructor. Grades are posted by Fresno Pacific University within two business days upon receipt of the Grade submission from the instructor.

How soon can I receive an official transcript after completing my coursework?
Students do not have to wait until the end of the semester to receive an official transcript! Transcripts may be requested as soon as the grade is posted by the Center for Professional Development.

What is the difference between a partial and full materials fee?
For courses listing a partial materials fee, certain materials may be shared with another student. Students ordering partial materials must ascertain that they have access to all the required updated materials before ordering. Additional handling fees will be charged for any materials changes after the initial registration.

Do these courses qualify for financial aid or student loan deferment?
No, these courses do not qualify for financial aid or student loan deferment. However, some school districts have funds available to assist their teachers in professional growth. Contact your school district to find out if those funds are available to you.

Can I complete my coursework when I'm not in the classroom and away from students?
All courses may be completed with or without student participation, unless otherwise noted in the course description/syllabus.

Do you offer any courses for 2 units?
Yes! We offer some courses for 2 units only, and some courses with a 2 or 3 unit option. View a listing at: https://ce.fresno.edu/CPD/CoursesUnder3Units/

If I need to drop a course, what should I do?
The process is very simple! Login to our CPD website (ce.fresno.edu/cpd), click on Submit Drop Form and select the course from the drop-down menu. The drop/refund policy is noted on the form.